We are accepting applications for the following positions:
Office Team Member
We are seeking an Office Team Member to support with Salt Spring Centre of Yoga (SSCY) administration and programs (including Yoga Getaways, Personal Retreats, Rentals, etc) including general reception duties, registration, book-keeping support and on-site event assistance.
The Office Team Member fosters the spirit of karma yoga in all duties. Karma yoga is a self-chosen discipline of dedicating one’s work and actions to the attainment of peace and the common good of our community.
Duties & Responsibilities
This position supports the Office with the following duties including, but not limited to:
• Communications: initial and ongoing contact with SSCY guests and renters, registration support, arranging logistics with staff and guests and onsite event assistance.
• Accounts Receivable: creates invoices on QuickBooks and PayPal, collects payment information and processes payments.
• Meetings: checks in regularly with the Office Team, attends regular Operations meetings and other program-related committees as requested.
• Tech support: updates the SSCY website regarding programs, rentals and yoga classes, keeping it current and accurate through ongoing reviews.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
The following skills and qualifications are preferred, but not limited to:
• The successful applicant will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as exceptional problem-solving, organizational, and time management skills.
• Applicants must have the ability to track and prioritize numerous tasks at once, as well as be responsive to the various needs of staff, guests and program participants.
• Diverse and extensive computer skills are important in this position, including a high level knowledge of Microsoft Office and Windows, and familiarity with QuickBooks preferred.
• The ideal candidate also has a desire to deepen their yoga practice, particularly karma yoga.
• This is a live-in full-time position, with participation in the practices of Classical Ashtanga Yoga as taught by Baba Hari Dass.
• The successful applicant will receive a monthly stipend, accommodation, amenities (asana and theory classes, WiFi, laundry) and 3 vegetarian meals a day.
• The chosen applicant should have a strong desire to experience life in a vibrant intentional community based on yoga philosophy and practice and be willing to make a firm commitment of preferably a year.
• Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada.
• Three month probationary period applies.
For details of the Centre and its activities, see our comprehensive website at www.saltspringcentre.com
Continue to the Office Team Member Application Form
To volunteer with us for up to 2 months, please fill out the General Volunteer Interest Form
If you are a returning Karma Yogi, please fill out the Returning Karma Yogi Form
Please read our Centre Guidelines for more information about what to expect at the Centre.
Non-Canadian residents will require a work permit for Canada. Applicants are responsible for arranging and securing the required permits.
If you are a non-BC resident, you are required to make your own arrangements for health insurance, for the full duration of your stay with us. (NOTE: Canadian residents moving to BC from other provinces are insured for three months only by their home province. If they are staying in BC longer than three months, they must take steps to acquire proper health insurance through BC Medical.) The Centre is not liable if you are in need of medical attention and do not carry proper health insurance.
Indoor housing is provided for volunteers. Most of the rooms are cozy, private rooms. Please note that due to the size of the rooms and storage space, it is advised that you do not bring an excess of clothing or personal items unless you have a car to store your belongings in during your stay.
In some instances in the summer months, short term volunteers may be asked to camp, depending on the length of term and the needs of the Centre. Our campsites are equipped with tent platforms and tarps, several outhouses and forest showers.
“Being a full-season resident at the Centre has been a unique and precious opportunity to practice selfless service and contribute to learning and sharing in spiritual community. It is a life gift for which I am deeply grateful to Baba Hari Dass and his teachings, and everyone who participates in this sacred practice. Much love.”
~ Georgia Greetham, 2013 Karma Yoga Coordinator